1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Walkman WM-3 / TPS-L2 : correct belt path, idler tires, and gear mechanism concerns

Discussion in 'Chat Area' started by Talkman, Aug 29, 2020.

1. Talkman

Talkman New Member

Howdy y'all,

I am looking to get a second set of eyes on a Sony Walkman WM-3 I am refurbishing.

Recently, I received new belts and idler tires from fixyouraudio.com. After replacing the worn out rubber, the player unspools cassettes. This is regardless of whether or not I have "flipped" the larger belt that connects to the motor. Prior to installing the new rubber, the player had no issue playing tapes at the proper speed from start to finish (aside from some very minor wow and flutter).

I am almost certain I bungled something around the area of the smaller idler tire, as it isn't really touching the mechanism that drives the take-up reel. Please photo attachments below:

wm-3 tps-l2 belt gear idle tires 1.jpg wm-3 tps-l2 belt idle tires 2.jpg

There is a small, white "mystery arm" just south of the smaller idler tire, that I pushed under the large white gear assembly that drives the take-up spool. Unsure if that is correct. Any assistance is greatly appreciated- I've put some hours into getting this far, certainly thanks to reading past threads, but couldn't find anything on this area in particular. Thanks!

-Adam

2. Talkman

Talkman New Member

Looks like I have everything in it's proper place now. Unfortunately, a few of those tiny, c-shaped washers flew off into another dimension, anyone know of a suitable replacement?

There also seems to be some kinda micro-flutter that makes vocals sound a bit robotic. Perhaps there's an adjustment to be made, or I just need to deep-clean the pinch roller. Either way, I did order a roller from Fix Your Audio. Home stretch!

3. Boodokhan

Boodokhan Well-Known Member

4. Talkman

Talkman New Member

Last edited: Aug 31, 2020
    Boodokhan likes this.
  5. Silver965

Silver965 Well-Known Member

Hi ... I know I'm late ... I already wanted to write to you yesterday but I didn't make it in time ... I noticed from your photos that the belt on the engine is reversed ... I think you have already solved this problem seeing the video you posted .... however I take this opportunity to post two more photos in case others have the same problem ...

Attached Files:

Talkman likes this.
  6. Talkman

Talkman New Member

Thanks Silver965. I tried to make the title of this post very searchable for others with similar issues in the future. And I will probably refer to your diagram the next time I inevitably have to take that belt off. :delighted:

7. Nicolas B

Nicolas B New Member

Hi. My TPS-L2 motor has clockwise rotation, is this correct?
    I bought new belts and for some reason if I install the longer belt as showned in the pictures, on the upper side of the motor pulley, the walkman eats all the tape.

In every youtube videos the belt install like this pictures.

so the question is what could be the problem?

8. Silver965

Hello to try ... put the belts as in the picture above .... do not put a cassette and play ... see if the belts turn as in the picture .... if they turn correctly the problem you have is not here. ..will be on the cassette take-up reel that is not spinning and the tape is pulled out of the pick roller

9. Nicolas B

Nicolas B New Member

Hi Silver965,
    I put the belts as the picture above, but for some reason the engine runs clockwise, so I desolder and resolder the wires for an anticlockwise rotation.
    Now it works.
    The only thing: sometimes if I push any of the action buttons (FF/ RE/PLAY) it won't starts.
    Edit: don't know if its a mecanical problem,w if there is a wear piece, or or should I oil everything?

10. Silver965

HELLO ... By pressing a button ... Play..FF..Rw..check that this switch is activated .... and if it makes contact ... or if not working ... check the black and white wires connected to it ... check the connection of the wires also on the circuit ... The black one is from the external power socket and the white is from the circuit above the motor ..... I still remind you that inside the external power socket ... there is a switch that makes the exchange between the batteries of the walkman and the external power supply ... also checks the correct functioning of this ...

Tpsl2 switch .jpg Tpsl2 switch B .jpg Tpsl2 switch C .jpg

Then I advise you to follow @Valentin's Tutorial

Nicolas B and Valentin like this.
  11. Nicolas B

Nicolas B New Member

I 'll do that. Brilliant explanation.
    A really appreciate the help.