VMware Communities
vm_dude123
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

SVGA II driver install without VMWare Tools

Long story behind this, but does anyone know how to install the vmware SVGA II driver into a WinXP guest without installing all of VMware tools?

For the life of me, I can't find a driver download location anywhere on the net....

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mickpen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Assuming you are using either workstation or server, you will have access to the vmtools install iso image - it will be in the vmware app program folder named windows.iso - simply mount the iso, cancel the autostart if necessary and then use the drivers from the cd (iso) as you would for any other driver updates.

In XP just use device manager for the display, update driver, have disk etc and all should be well.

I would recommend updating the mouse at the same time

HTH

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
mickpen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Assuming you are using either workstation or server, you will have access to the vmtools install iso image - it will be in the vmware app program folder named windows.iso - simply mount the iso, cancel the autostart if necessary and then use the drivers from the cd (iso) as you would for any other driver updates.

In XP just use device manager for the display, update driver, have disk etc and all should be well.

I would recommend updating the mouse at the same time

HTH

0 Kudos
vm_dude123
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks a lot, your answer was spot on.

Why is it that you recommend the mouse driver? How is it different from any other mouse driver?

0 Kudos
mickpen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Installing the mouse driver gives better control of the virtual mouse pointer and afaik allows seamless integration between the vm and the host so that you don't have to keep releasing the mouse using the keyboard release sequence.

0 Kudos