Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20649 ディスカッション

Intel 965 express GFX driver on Windows 10 : high CPU usage, slow scrolling

AA41
ビギナー
4,595件の閲覧回数

Hi

I have installed Windows 10 (64bit) on my notebook with Intel 965 express chipset and Core 2 Duo T7500. 965 express chipset is said to have a GMA X3100 GFX chip.

Windows 10 automatically found and installed an Intel gfx driver from MS servers for this - it did not install the CPU-rendered Microsoft default GFX driver and I did not have to download drivers from intel.com by myself. The automatically installed Intel GFX driver version is 8.15.10.2697 - Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM 1.1)

(its version number seems even higher than what Intel offers for download on intel.com)

There are no errors logged for the GFX driver and there are no unknown devices left over in the device manager.

- Now I can see, that the GFX acceleration is working fine, when moving any window with the mouse: smooth movement and CPU usage in task manager is flatlining near 0% while moving any window. So obviously no CPU activity involved in moving windows, which is good.

- But when scrolling in any window (File Explorer, Internet Explorer, Word, Firefox, whatever, up<->down, left<->right), everything gets slow and the CPU usage peaks up to 50 % while scrolling (using up to 1 of the 2 threads of the CPU dual core). So to me it seems that scrolling is not using any GPU hardware acceleration at all, but is solely rendered on the CPU.

Is this a bug in this GFX driver? Or is Windows 10 no longer using old driver's scrolling code?

Can this be somehow configured to use GPU hardware acceleration in Win10? Or could any older driver version fix this problem?

I don't need DirectX game support, but I'd really like to continue using my notebook for work stuff, but currently its lagging like hell due to the window 2D scrolling obviously rendered on the CPU (and being very slow). And unfortunately I can't just ditch the GFX card and use another one without throwing away the whole notebook 😞

My questions are:

1. So I was wondering if someone has an idea how to solve this GFX driver lagginess problem - to somehow reduce CPU usage on scrolling in Windows 10

2. Besides that, I was used to the small Intel tray app, that allowed to select GFX output channel (integrated display or external adapter or "clone display") - but this app no longer exists in Windows 10.

is there any chance to download and manually install this tray app for Windows 10? (when downloading and trying to install the latest intel.com driver, Windows 10 insists that it already has a newer driver version installed)

0 件の賞賛
0 返答(返信)
返信