PerfectDisk & Windows 7 boot time defrag

egale

Jun 5, 2002
After upgrading to Windows 7 RC last night, I find I can't do a boot time defrag with PerfectDisk. I can set it all up but when I reboot, the defrag is not done. When I get back into PerfectDisk, it is still set up to do a boot time defrag.

Not sure if Perfect Disk doesn't know how to schedule the boot time defrag in Windows 7 or there is something in Windows 7 I need to set up to get this to work.

starams5

May 7, 2009
Hi

Try this follow this registry path and enter the data info.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager

Value Name: BootExecute
Type: REG_MULTI_SZ
Data:
PDBoot.exe
PDBoot.exeautocheck autochk *
OODBS

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
Saw your post on the PD Forum . . .

PD

There was no response from PD Tech support. My sense is that until Win7 is RTM they won't spend any money developing the solution.

starams5

May 7, 2009
The info in my post is the solution. Other applications will change the info in the BootExecute reg key which will stop PD from running a Boot Time defrag. Just put the default info back in, reboot, and run Boot Time defrag again.

egale

Jun 5, 2002
I got it to work even easier. First I had to start PerfectDisk using Run as Administrator. Then, there is a support tab where it lists problems it finds with your installation and there is a tab to Fix It. I clicked that and it took care of the problem.

I don't have the program on this machine so I can't tell you exactly what the tabs are but once fixed, I no longer have to run as administrator either.

starams5

May 7, 2009
Thanks for the tip eagle. I didn't know that option was there, but then again I've been doing it my way long before there was a support tab. I can't agree with you that it's easier, I just double click my exported reg file and I'm done but for a user who is not familiar with the registry your tip should be good news. The application that modifies my BootExecute preventing Boot Time to run is Vista Manager. Good job!