Holux Funtrek 130 pro - please help

Have just bought a Holux Funtrek 130 Pro, specifically for Geocaching - but after one week of trying I am still unable to use it for any basic, simple functionalities like inputting coordinates and then finding those coordinates using the map function. I've never used a GPS before and I suppose that there is some over-riding concept that I am doing wrong, but I've no idea what.

I bought this unit because it got 5 stars in all the reviews, which made me hopeful that it would be easy to use, but instead I'm finding it really difficult to use and navigate round. The instruction manual isn't very helpful.

Does anybody else have this particular unit and, more importantly, are you adept at using it? If yes, help! By skype???

Never heard of this one before, but if you are able to return it, that might be your best bet. Were the 5 star reviews the ones on this web site? Only 3 reviews, so you aren't likely to find much help in the forum. Or, does the company have a customer service number? Otherwise, I hope someone here can help you out.

I can see why you had a problem. Just read their manual for that unit.

There's minimal discussion about using the geocaching application (the radar looks cute), and none at all about the expected format of any cache data or how and where that data would be loaded.

Specifications are a question as well. Are caches treated as waypoints and limited to 2000, or just how ARE caches treated?

It actually looks like a capable little unit, just really horribly documented. I think you're going to need help from someone down under who actually has one.

I was excited to read your message - this sounds promising!

Located in Prague, Czech Republic. I assume from the links you sent me that you are in/near Paris?

I am really new at using GPS units - so I don't (yet) know the difference between a good one and a bad one. Why is this one so fantastic, please tell me!? And please explain very briefly what your software does, and how I can input it into my GPS unit. And is your software free or paid?

Thank you, I am very grateful for any help.

I will send you a private message to continue our discussion, but I would to give you and to other geocachers important information about the HOLUX FUNTREK 130.

This GPS has some important features :

- screen readable in sun light

- very good sensitivity of the RF receiver

- EGNOSS mode

- waterproof

- light

- robust

- possibility to install 3rd party applications (and mine !!)

- barometric altimeter

- electronic compass

- complete WINCE BSP

ALL (100%) of my founds are done with it : http://picasaweb.google.com/110395571834053752376/HOLUXEtGeocachingCE#

Hi, I live in Venezuela and are really interested in geocaching, the Garmin units are so much expensive I am looking toward a more economic Geocaching capable unit, my question is about maps, what maps could I load into this unit in case I decide to buy it, also I still have not found a retailer in the USA so as to know the prize. Amazon does not carry it.

Hi, I live in Venezuela and are really interested in geocaching, the Garmin units are so much expensive I am looking toward a more economic Geocaching capable unit, my question is about maps, what maps could I load into this unit in case I decide to buy it, also I still have not found a retailer in the USA so as to know the prize. Amazon does not carry it.

There is a PC/Mac/Linux Tool released by Holux called "CvtTool" that allows you to grab a range of the OpenStreetMap and then place it in FunTrek 130/130 Pro. The captured maps are able to zoom in/out. And you may overlap tracks and waypoints on the map. Really cool! Beside Open Street Map, you may also use your own digitized map with CvtTool.

Checkout the "ViewMap" function on the FunTrek 130 unit.

However, the Geocaching application on the unit does not show the captured map... I wish they can implement this soon!

Stonez

Hello,

I live in France, and I have good contacts with people from Holux.

For that reason, I have been using the FUNTREK GM130 for now 2 years, and developped a SW dedicated to geocaching for that device.

The SW is called GeocachingCE, and you can find information about this SW here :

- description of the SW for WINCE GPS : https://sites.google.com/site/geocachingceeng/

- pictures of GM 130 with specific GeocachingCE version : https://picasaweb.google.com/110395571834053752376/HOLUXEtGeocachingCE#

That GPS is sooooo goooood ! Light, good sensivity, screen readable in sunlight, and so on .... I use it for most of my geoaching activities.

My SW is able to display google-like raster maps that you can have with Mobile Atlas Creator or Maperitive, .... and you can load pocket queries for geoaching paperless.

I can provide the version for GM 130 for free now, as it is in a beta version : maybe in the future it will costs a little bit ....

If you are interested do not hesitate to contact me.

Edited by courdi95