Question / Help GOING NUTS! What Color Format Should I be Using?

MrBruinsKid

Hello my OBS friends,

Today I just have a quick question to ask on what color format should I be using with my capture card. I use the AVerMedia 4k Capture card and i only stream console games. I do understand that in the advance tab i should always leave it at NV12 with 709/Partial. I just need help with the capture cards properties so when when I right click on the video capture source in my source section for my AVerMedia i manually do custom settings for example.....

Resolution - 1920x1080
FPS - 59.94
Color source - 709
Color range - Partial

* But there is an option in there that is labeled "Video Format" and by default its set to "Any"......

I have 3 options to play with and i just wanted to know which one would look the best quality wise and just basically be the best to use overall the options are XRGB / NV12 / YUY2

PC Specs

I7 7700K
32 GB Ram
1080 Ti

I also stream at 720p60 with 8k bitrate. I have Fiber Gig internet and a Twitch Affiliate.

Thank you for your time and taking a look at this to who ever comes across this. It would really take so much stress off of me to know what setting to actually use i truly hope someone can have the answer for me on this topic because i'm just going NUTS over here.

Zidakuh

XRGB, YUY2 and NV12 are color data settings.
XRGB is the highest internal bandwith, highest quality option. It's the 4:4:4 RGB color data. If you can use that without any major issues, do that.
If you have troubles with XRGB, use YUY2, the second highest quality option. It uses less internal bandwidth, at the expense of color accuracy, though i doubt you can tell a difference. This is the 4:2:2 equivalent.
NV12 can be considered a "worst case scenario" option. Hopefully you won't have to use that. This is the 4:2:0 equivalent.

The numbers listed are luma/chroma values, and terms like that are usually used in the professional video line of work.

Last edited:

MrBruinsKid

XRGB, YUY2 and NV12 are color data settings.
XRGB is the highest internal bandwith, highest quality option. It's the 4:4:4 RGB color data. If you can use that without any major issues, do that.
If you have troubles with XRGB, use YUY2, the second highest quality option. It uses less internal bandwidth, at the expense of color accuracy, though i doubt you can tell a difference. This is the 4:2:2 equivalent.
NV12 can be considered a "worst case scenario" option. Hopefully you won't have to use that. This is the 4:2:0 equivalent.

The numbers listed are luma/chroma values, and terms like that are usually used in the professional video line of work.

Thank you so much Zidakuh for getting back to me on this topic and matter I will be trying out the XRGB setting tonight. I do just have some more simple questions while i have you here if you don't mind me asking.

1) In my AVerMedia RE Central 4 capture software setting for my AVerMedia 4k card it says the input source is 59.94fps. Now my question is do i just match everything in OBS to 59.94fps or can i just put everything at 60fps i really don't know if there is a difference with that so what would you recommend me set that to?

2) I would also assume in the advance section to just leave that video format at NV12 because thats what compatible with streaming. And if i'm correct the RGB mode should only be selected only for local recordings? Also if i already have it right set color source to 709 and keep color range at partial?

3) And then my final question if you could recommend me the best setting for downscale filter. my base is at 1920x1080 and i downscale to 1280x720. as of right now i keep it on bicubic as i keep hearing that this downscale filter is only useful for up scaling resolutions i dont know if this is true. Should i be setting this to Lancosz? Just remember i would want the best quality possible as i have the equipment and resources to do so.

Thank you again for getting back to me on the first topic and I hope to hear back from you on these 3 questions.

Zidakuh

1. You can change all framerates to 59.94, but there isn't really a reason to. Purists might say otherwise, but the amount of microstutter due to mismatches frametime, is IMO not worth changing every other setting for.

Edit: if you do experience too much stutter/microstutter, then try and set all sources and devices to 59.94.

2. Videoformat for streaming is as you say, it should stay at NV12.
As for color space, use 709. It's generally used for HD and above video.
Color range (advanced tab) keep it at partial, unless changing videoformat to RGB, then use full.

Sidenote: everything should be the same in the device settings (avermedia 4k) however, color range depends on your source. If you have a PC connected, use full, if you have a console connected, use partial, unless you manually changed the range to full in the consoles settings.

3. For downscaling, it's more a matter of personal preference. You can try and record a small test with both, and just use whatever you like the best.
I personally use lanczos, but I honestly don't see a difference between the two.

Last edited:

MrBruinsKid

1. You can change all framerates to 59.94, but there isn't really a reason to. Purists might say otherwise, but the amount of microstutter due to mismatches frametime, is IMO not worth changing every other setting for.

Edit: if you do experience too much stutter/microstutter, then try and set all sources and devices to 59.94.

2. Videoformat for streaming is as you say, it should stay at NV12.
As for color space, use 709. It's generally used for HD and above video.
Color range (advanced tab) keep it at partial, unless changing videoformat to RGB, then use full.

Sidenote: everything should be the same in the device settings (avermedia 4k) however, color range depends on your source. If you have a PC connected, use full, if you have a console connected, use partial, unless you manually changed the range to full in the consoles settings.

3. For downscaling, it's more a matter of personal preference. You can try and record a small test with both, and just use whatever you like the best.
I personally use lanczos, but I honestly don't see a difference between the two.

Hello Zidakuh, Thank you so much again for getting back to me on these questions. I went ahead and followed all your instructions and i am going to present you with a couple of photos of my set up. Just if you could or can could you tell me please if everything matches up to your liking and that everything looks good to go i would truly appreciate it.

Here is my ps4 pro video output settings - https://imgur.com/a/yr03OpJ

Advance tab of OBS - https://imgur.com/a/wtzbH1i

Video tab of OBS - https://imgur.com/a/YOppEiD

Output setting of OBS - https://imgur.com/a/v5d9FvZ

Device properties of my aver media 4k source in OBS - https://imgur.com/a/aLoeEli

the Aver media Capture card device settings in the Re Central 4 software - https://imgur.com/a/skjcUWZ

Again I hope everything looks perfect and ready to go. Once i get your final word on this i will do a test stream and hit you back up with the VOD.

Hope to hear back from you again!

Zidakuh

Everything seems to look good, as far as I can tell.
If unsure whether to use 59.94 or 60 fps, I belive there is an output info option on the PS4. I'm fairly sure the PS4 natively outputs 60 fps.
Alternatively, you can always run a small test recording, using the (use stream encoder) option, so you know exactly what your output will look like.

One thing though, pushing 8000kbps might be pushing it. For 720p60, 6000 should be more than adequate, especially at a slower CPU preset than "veryfast". At least for twitch.

MrBruinsKid

Everything seems to look good, as far as I can tell.
If unsure whether to use 59.94 or 60 fps, I belive there is an output info option on the PS4. I'm fairly sure the PS4 natively outputs 60 fps.
Alternatively, you can always run a small test recording, using the (use stream encoder) option, so you know exactly what your output will look like.

One thing though, pushing 8000kbps might be pushing it. For 720p60, 6000 should be more than adequate, especially at a slower CPU preset than "veryfast". At least for twitch.

Yea just looked at my PS4 options it says its output is 60hrz so what i'm going to do is change everything to 60fps and match everything up. I will also change my bitrate back down to 6k.

Now because im setting it back down to 6k witch is the twitch highest recommendation standard i'm assuming i would have to recheck the box where it says "use enforce streaming encoder settings" correct?

https://imgur.com/a/v5d9FvZ

Zidakuh

Yea just looked at my PS4 options it says its output is 60hrz so what i'm going to do is change everything to 60fps and match everything up. I will also change my bitrate back down to 6k.

Now because im setting it back down to 6k witch is the twitch highest recommendation standard i'm assuming i would have to recheck the box where it says "use enforce streaming encoder settings" correct?

https://imgur.com/a/v5d9FvZ

Nah, you can leave it unchecked.

Harold

Stick with 720p, you're able to retain more picture quality because you have more bitrate per pixel.

MrBruinsKid

Stick with 720p, you're able to retain more picture quality because you have more bitrate per pixel.

Thank you for you response Harold, and just like Zidakuh said is it okay if i leave "force streaming encoder service" unchecked right? There shouldn't be an issue with that correct?

Harold

I wouldn't have that setting unchecked actually. It can leave you open to shooting yourself in the foot with bad settings.

TryHD

I wouldn't have that setting unchecked actually. It can leave you open to shooting yourself in the foot with bad settings.
It does limit you to 6000 kbit/s bitrate, while you can stream with 8000 at twitch, so i would say it does everything to make you as compatible as possible, but if you aim for quality you must uncheck it.

Zidakuh

@MrBruinsKid if you need different settings for recording, e.g. RGB colorspace, you can always set up a seperate profile for that. Just remember to switch, depending on what you want to do.

MrBruinsKid

@MrBruinsKid if you need different settings for recording, e.g. RGB colorspace, you can always set up a seperate profile for that. Just remember to switch, depending on what you want to do.

@Zidakuh @Harold Welt gentleman tonight was the test run night. I used all of your recommendation settings tonight hopefully it looks good to you guys. i had no dropped frames no lag frames or no skipped frames everything ran smoothly.

i'm just hoping the video is really high quality and looks sharp crisp and pops i also added a color correction as well. if you can please let me know how everything looks im a freek of ocd when i don't have the highest quality. also if there is a chance or would be a chance to get even higher quality please let me know or am i absolutely perfect and need to do nothing else?

Here is the vod - https://www.twitch.tv/mrbruinskid/video/476527863

Zidakuh

@Zidakuh @Harold Welt gentleman tonight was the test run night. I used all of your recommendation settings tonight hopefully it looks good to you guys. i had no dropped frames no lag frames or no skipped frames everything ran smoothly.

i'm just hoping the video is really high quality and looks sharp crisp and pops i also added a color correction as well. if you can please let me know how everything looks im a freek of ocd when i don't have the highest quality. also if there is a chance or would be a chance to get even higher quality please let me know or am i absolutely perfect and need to do nothing else?

Here is the vod - https://www.twitch.tv/mrbruinskid/video/476527863

Honestly speaking, this looks pretty good to me. I hardly see any compression artifacts.

MrBruinsKid

Honestly speaking, this looks pretty good to me. I hardly see any compression artifacts.

That is so satisfying to hear. as long as its not to dark and the colors pop and look vivid and it looks sharp i am really happy with the outcome. I truly appreciate all the help that you have giving me throughout this thread i cant thank you enough. If i do run into any trouble in the future i will defiantly hit you up.

vankedisiTV

After switching from navy blue u3 1080p yuy2 60hz card to 4k30hz ezcap n12 i can easily say that colors are noticeable worse on nv12...

That's why i didn't like my friend's elgato's performance..

This cap card does 1440p 60hz at nv12 or 50 hz yuy2..
120hz n12 at 1080p
Or 60fps yuy2 at 1080p 60hz

Am playing at 1440p and it can take 1440p signal to streaming pc.

What is your suggestion? Should go back to 1080p to cap card and downscale again at streaming pc? (864p)

I want my yuy2 back lol