Wartales

Wartales

View Stats:
Floid May 14, 2023 @ 8:13am
Possible fix for stuttering (Enable or Disable HPET).
This was passed onto me by a friend. Feel free to test it on your system, at your own risk blar blar blar and so on.
Results will vary depending on your: System Config - OS - CPU Generation.

Notes:
* This setting can be toggled on or off.
(But in order for it work properly this setting needs to be either unilaterally Enabled or Disabled in ALL the relevant area's of your system - eg in BOTH Windows, and in your motherboard bios)

Originally posted by Enable / Disable HPET (High Precision Event Timer) in Windows:

Firstly to check if u have HPET enabled or disabled in windows:

1) - Run command prompt as Administrator and type:
"bcdedit /enum" without quotes and press enter.

2) - You will see a list show up - look for "useplatformclock".
If it is set to NO it means it's Disabled in windows and if it's set YES it means it's Enabled in windows. If "useplatformclock" is not shown in the list at all, it probably means your motherboard either doesn't support it - or it's simply disabled in your motherboard bios.

Instructions on how to Disable HPET in Windows:

1) - Run command prompt as Administrator and type:
"bcdedit /deletevalue useplatformclock" without quotes and press enter.

* (If "bcdedit /deletevalue useplatformclock" doesn't disable it, try "bcdedit /set useplatformclock false". The verify with "bcdedit /enum")

2) - Next go to Device Manager (search "device manager" in taskbar search)
then go to "System Devices" > right click "High precision event timer" > click Disable.

Then Reboot your PC for the settings to take effect.

Note: If you want to turn HPET back on, just run command prompt as Administrator again and type "bcdedit /set useplatformclock true" without quotes and press enter - and also re-enable HPET in Device Manager, and Reboot your PC for the changes to take effect.

Important: Now as mentioned, in order for the effect of having HPET Enabled or Disabled to actually work properly, you need to have HPET correspondingly Enabled or Disabled in your motherboard bios. Just look for a setting called HPET - (High Precision Event Timer) in your bios. This setting will most likely been in the Advanced Options of your bios. Also remember to be careful when navigating your bios, and don't accidentally change any other settings, other than HPET, as you will be prompted to save all settings changed when you exit the bios.

So go ahead and test with HPET Enable or Disable on your system, and see if either setting impacts the stuttering in Wartales. Unfortunately this is not a one size fits all setting - so you may see better performance with HPET Enabled - or you may see better performance with HPET Disable. The results vary depending on the game, and on your system config.
< >
Showing 1-6 of 6 comments
_C@nG@C@_ May 14, 2023 @ 9:46am 
Thanks but I'll pass. : P

Also: Why would we need to risk our hardware integrity ( and the money in case it goes bad ) on something that is up to the devs to fix..
SnugSnug May 14, 2023 @ 10:33am 
The shadercache is in the save folder with all the other bloat. Keeping the saves to a minimum and making sure that the folder is exempt from any 3rd party active security monitoring is easier than bios tweaking.
Appreciate the attempt/effort, but I'll just continue to not play it and leave them a bad review. There are too many good games out there to jump through hoops for this one.
Floid May 14, 2023 @ 11:48am 
Originally posted by SnugSnug:
The shadercache is in the save folder with all the other bloat. Keeping the saves to a minimum and making sure that the folder is exempt from any 3rd party active security monitoring is easier than bios tweaking.

That's interesting, so are you saying that minimizing save file count, combined with setting folder exceptions, resolved the stuttering for you ?
Last edited by Floid; May 14, 2023 @ 11:49am
SnugSnug May 15, 2023 @ 6:35am 
Originally posted by Floid:

That's interesting, so are you saying that minimizing save file count, combined with setting folder exceptions, resolved the stuttering for you ?

Remove, no. Improve yes, or to put it another way having more saves makes it noticeably worse. (could be an indexing issue?)
I still drop about 30 frames on camp scene in certain weather and some of the minigames can stutter initially, but usually that's only on 1st action of that session - which would favour a caching theory.

Generally speaking though, i have all cache files and folders exempted wherever i find them. (usually in user/appdata/local or roaming) I've set the nvidia cache - 5gb rather than auto and allowed Steam to pre-cache in settings. I usually pick Dx over OpenGL.
Floid May 15, 2023 @ 1:26pm 
Originally posted by Floid:

Remove, no. Improve yes, or to put it another way having more saves makes it noticeably worse. (could be an indexing issue?)
I still drop about 30 frames on camp scene in certain weather and some of the minigames can stutter initially, but usually that's only on 1st action of that session - which would favour a caching theory.

Generally speaking though, i have all cache files and folders exempted wherever i find them. (usually in user/appdata/local or roaming) I've set the nvidia cache - 5gb rather than auto and allowed Steam to pre-cache in settings. I usually pick Dx over OpenGL.

Yeah that's a commonality i've seen alot of people mention. There are other outside factors that can contribute to making the stuttering alot worse, like save file count, indexing, real-time monitoring of AV software etc - but even when people remove all those other factors, the stuttering still remains, all be it to a lesser extent, but still noticeable enough.

It just baffles me sooo much that it's been a reported issue for the duration of the EA period, and they still were not able to resolve it for 1.0. Really makes me think that they will not ever fix it, because they just won't be able to find the cause.
Last edited by Floid; May 15, 2023 @ 1:26pm
< >
Showing 1-6 of 6 comments
Per page: 1530 50

Date Posted: May 14, 2023 @ 8:13am