Dark and Darker

Dark and Darker

このトピックはロックされています
Nona 2023年3月25日 6時50分
Hot Take: Nexon was in the right
Taking down an IP that looks exactly like the one you paid your ex-employees to create that you then had to fire for trying to steal assets constantly seems fair imo. Not defending big corpo here, just saying, theft is theft.
投稿主: tim.:
Tomibouzu の投稿を引用:
tim. の投稿を引用:

Believe me, calling you a troll is MUCH more generous than just assuming you're a moron incapable of critical thinking. Because, frankly, that's what you would be otherwise.

We've literally been discussing the arguments Nexon was making this ENTIRE TIME. Sorry for assuming you were able to keep up with the discussion. If you want to know all of Nexon's claims, there's a PLENTY of forums right here on steam, on reddit, and youtube of people dissecting this situation.

Anyways, it's clear you don't actually have anything sincere to say, so i'll just let you enjoy your echochamber.
clearly youve not, as you misrepresent what theyve put out quite a lot. very dishonest of you.

Fine, you want to act like i'm misrepresenting and being dishonest, let's hop into the DMCA from Nexon to Steam since you want to be a bozo. I don't expect YOU to be swayed, you're obviously in so deep that even if Ironmace flat out said they stole assets you wouldn't believe it. You'd probably say they were paid off or threatened. Instead, this aims to convince people who are actually open to facts. None of this is meant to say that Ironmace did anything wrong, just that it's not a mystery why Nexon would have legitimate grounds for investigation

Let's start with the opening appeal:

"Nexon has a good faith belief that Dark and Darker is infringing Nexon’s copyrights in the P3 Game. Nexon also has good faith belief that Dark and Darker was developed by (1) stealing the source codes, art resources, and build files of the P3 Game and (2) using without authorization the stolen source codes, art resources, and build files as the foundation for Dark and Darker. Key employees, including the Managing Director as well as the Founder and Representative Director of Ironmace, were key team members that worked on and had access to Nexon’s P3 Game. At least one person (notably, the current Managing Director of Ironmace) was dismissed from Nexon for transferring proprietary company files related to the P3 Project to his private server prior to leaving Nexon."

Right out the gate the outline pretty neatly where their main contention lies, and huh, that seems to follow pretty closely to what i was saying, doesn't it? Ex-employee(s), one of notably was a MANAGING DIRECTOR, conveniently banding together and making a game remarkably close to a title they were working on while at Nexon, that seems more than reasonable enough to launch an investigation. At least one of those people even had an access point directly to Nexon's servers while working there, as well?

Obviously that doesn't PROVE anything, but it's a VERY strong starting point.

They continue, in response to the question; "Identify the copyrighted work that you claim is being infringed."

"Nexon owns registered copyrights to the source codes, art resources, and build files of the P3 Game, which have been registered with the U.S. Copyright Office: (Cleric, Ranger, , Barbarian, etc.)"

Obviously, like i said before, everyone agrees that the classes they attempted to protect are generic fantasy characters and that trying to pretend that they own those concepts is ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥. However, the key assertion here is that they hold copyrights to the SOURCE CODE, ART, and BUILD files of those characters. In otherwords, if you took those specific elements that makes those character operate and used them as your own, that would be copyright violation, NOT using the names or likeness of the characters. Actually a pretty fair point IMO, and Nexon is accusing IM of using those driving elements based on their opening statements.

Later in the document, they expand on specific individuals allegedly taking data relating to P3 without authorization.

"X unlawfully transferred and disclosed approximately 11,602 files of the data related to the P3 Project
• From April 2021 to June 18, 2021, 2,747 build files for the P3 Project
were unlawfully transferred from the Nexon’s Jenkins server to X's private server located in Seosan without obtaining
authorization.
• From April 7, 2021 to May 11, 2021, 1,719 build files for the P3 Project
were unlawfully transferred to X's private server built on a home PC
without obtaining authorization.
• From May 31, 2021 to June 23, 2021, the data related to the P3 Project,
including source code and art resources, were unlawfully transferred to
X's private server in Seosan without obtaining authorization over 20
instances."

That's a pretty substantial allegation, and very much reinforces Nexon's suspicions that Dark and Darker was made, at least in part, by using original files owned by Nexon without permission.

Following that, they make a list of files in Dark and Darker that are IDENTICAL to P3's files, as many have pointed out a lot of these are very generic and even basic Unreal file structures as well as Asset store items. There's a spreadsheet out there but i wasn't able to access it. View Kira's recent Dark and Darker video, he scrolls through it a bit there. This in itself doesn't seem to be conclusive as to whether or not Ironmace stole the files, but again, this adds very much to why Nexon would have reasonable suspicion.

The final part of their claim dives further into the more broad accusations of genre stealing, but it's clear that this isn't their pivotal claim and that the focus is much more specific, and like i said earlier isn't really a strong point against Ironmace as anyone could make a game with those broad design elements.

So again, factoring in

A) The fact that Ironmace is composed of ex-Nexon devs who worked on a game remarkably similar in both aesthetics, mechanics, and overall game design,

B) The fact that some of those same ex devs had direct access to Nexon server files from their home for the project Nexon is claiming they stole

B) The fact that Dark and Darker has MANY files with similar naming structures as the files P3 used,

it's very clear to see why Nexon would think Ironmace stole from their P3 project. It's not "Similar genre, similar aesthetics", it's "This looks like it's literally using code and assets from a project they were working on while employed by us."

As Ironmace claims, they built the game from the ground up. I hope that's true. I want them to be the winners here. But pretending Nexon is just money grabbing to stifle competition as the sole reason this is happening is ignorant, copium even. Calling people paid shills for pointing that out is even more so. Regardless, i've shared my piece. Think whatever you like.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Y2PJx5am6k3quSuXWe6cw-MuOvAPn4hl/view link to the file in case anyone hasn't seen it.
< >
121-135 / 380 のコメントを表示
Nona 2023年3月27日 18時13分 
Snooze の投稿を引用:
CanVox の投稿を引用:
Why are you talking about the credibility of nexon's complaint without bringing ironmace's response into it?

And their response doesnt mean much outside of court.

As its laid our right now, if nexon had the cleric as is in Dark and Darker, and Ironmace said "yes thats a cleric" and took it as is, Ironmace stole the cleric class from P3 and is in the wrong.

It's as simple as that.
Only simple for certain people it seems x3
Everything Iron mace "Stole" was already stolen by Nexon off of the Unity server AKA Free Use ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥!
Nona 2023年3月27日 23時54分 
Sinner-1 の投稿を引用:
Everything Iron mace "Stole" was already stolen by Nexon off of the Unity server AKA Free Use ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥!
Unity server? XD what??
Nona の投稿を引用:
Sinner-1 の投稿を引用:
Unity server? XD what??
the Unity server is a service for game creators to buy cheap resources and tools to set up games, these are bare bone utilities that any indie studio could access.
Nona 2023年3月28日 2時40分 
Sinner-1 の投稿を引用:
Nona の投稿を引用:
Unity server? XD what??
the Unity server is a service for game creators to buy cheap resources and tools to set up games, these are bare bone utilities that any indie studio could access.
My guy don't wanna shid on your parade but eh... the game's been made in UE not unity. Also what I believe you're trying to talk about is the unreal asset store, which is NOT free btw. The assets are beyond the point tho because reacquiring the same assets and then making a carbon copy of Project P3 still constitutes copyright infrigement. If you want to see a clip of what Project P3 looked like check this out https://twitter.com/PlayerIGN/status/1627487156641087493?s=20
Nona の投稿を引用:
Sinner-1 の投稿を引用:
My guy don't wanna shid on your parade but eh... the game's been made in UE not unity. Also what I believe you're trying to talk about is the unreal asset store, which is NOT free btw. The assets are beyond the point tho because reacquiring the same assets and then making a carbon copy of Project P3 still constitutes copyright infrigement. If you want to see a clip of what Project P3 looked like check this out https://twitter.com/PlayerIGN/status/1627487156641087493?s=20
I can't watch your video because the tweeter is blocked in Russia, but look at Steam on the page of the game "Dark SASI" for its videos and screenshots, many of them resemble what could be seen in DaD.
"Dark SASI" was published in 2018, so then, Nexon stole the property of "Narko Games"?
Guide 2023年3月28日 8時12分 
Hot Take: Nexon can bite me.
Nona の投稿を引用:
Sinner-1 の投稿を引用:
Okay but if Nexon wins then Unreal can sue Nexon.
I have a feeling soon the game will be renamed to "Dead and Deader", it will be feature-complete and won't get any more updates.
最近の変更はJESUS_IS_LORD☦が行いました; 2023年3月28日 11時04分
Nona の投稿を引用:

Just want to add that, no it doesn't. They do not own / have the copyrights for the content. Just based on that alone, it's not infringement. Besides that, you can read all the guidelines and policys at Unreal about the marketplace and its assets. They cannot claim copyright or try to sue for copyright on any of those assets.

Besides, Nexon is coming more from the standpoint of similarity rather than copyright infringement. Basically saying that there are too many files with the same name and it can't be a coincidence because Ironmace stole their secrets, etc etc.
tim. 2023年3月28日 11時30分 
ug の投稿を引用:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zx-yi57cdyQ&t=2s&ab_channel=Onepeg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sm7AhJoUdJU

I can share videos of people with 2nd hand information stating their opinions too. Kira's angle seemed much more fair than Onepeg's and wasn't nearly as biased.
最近の変更はtim.が行いました; 2023年3月28日 11時30分
CanVox 2023年3月28日 11時37分 
Sorry are you saying that you're taking nexons side because "d&d themed escape from tarkhov" is such a unique idea that nexon has absolute rights to it!?
CanVox 2023年3月28日 11時37分 
Like dark and darker is a great game but it's literally just mashing two existing games together.
Who in their right mind would listen someone who cheat and ruin most of the gameplay you cant give advice sorry your full of ♥♥♥♥ continue to cheat like nexon do and cry about it.
< >
121-135 / 380 のコメントを表示
ページ毎: 1530 50

投稿日: 2023年3月25日 6時50分
投稿数: 380