Steam for Linux

Steam for Linux

im thinking of installing linux on my pc is it good ?
:)
< >
1-15 / 17 のコメントを表示
It is the best, it does have a little bit of a learning curve, but I am sure you will manage and will be happy you made the switch pretty soon :)
Linux + Steam + Proton > Windows
最近の変更はCrufixが行いました; 2020年5月4日 15時30分
I got into Linux earlier this year. The community is very welcoming, knowledgeable and helpful. I'm really enjoying Mint, I chose this distro because it was one of the easiest to begin with and I haven't switched it ever since.
If you do get into Linux: Welcome !
As Tony the Tiger says "It's Greeeaaat!"
It's free, just give it a try, all you need is an empty usb stick and you can try a lot of versions of Linux, I recommend you boot from this live usb stick and test drive the given version (also called distribution or distro for short), this results in no data lose from your side since your windows partition is not touched at all and this lets you try out a distro before committing to it fully. There's is also the option of virtual machines, which are good as well if you're willing to set them up.

But to finally answer your question, is Linux any good? Well it is! It is much better than the other alternatives out there, it's free, free as in freedom. Meaning you get to be the rightful owner of your hardware and decide what is and is not allowed on your system, from updates, to software, to drivers. Moreover, speaking of updates, you can update your whole system, while gaming, reading the news, listening to music, watching a movie or even render a video and pretty much do whatever! This was the coolest thing for me when I switched, having the system taking care of such trivial things as updates is a breeze. Yes, Linux updates all of your software at once and there's no need to hunt down that executable on websites just to get the latest version of a given software, just update once and everything is there. Same with drivers, most drivers are included in the Linux kernel, if not they're a click away.

Last but not least, the community. When you've got an issue with anything imaginable, there're thousands of people out there and articles to help you, the Linux community is one of the most kind and welcoming and if you're willing to learn, do some researching and improve your computing skills the sky is the limit with Linux, so much power!

So yes I would say Linux is worth it 110% for me and many others, and I hope it will give you as much joy as it gave me so far! :)
最近の変更はVisualvengeanceが行いました; 2020年5月4日 15時56分
mr peperson の投稿を引用:
im thinking of installing linux on my pc is it good ?
it depends...

if you're the kind of person that is versatile enough to work with different kinds of software to get things done, is a bit annoyed about the inflexibility or limitations your current system and don't mind learning new things; then you will find your freedom with Linux.

if you depend on specific software, knows enough about your current system to be comfortable with it or is somewhat "methodic" in the way make use of your current system; then i would not recommend Linux
I'm assuming you are talking about switching from Windows to Linux. Don't go into the transition thinking that Linux is going to be just like Windows. If you do, you be disappointed and overwhelmed with differences, and you may end up like a lot of people who end up saying "Linux sucks because I can't (insert Window's only action here)"

Is it good? That depends on what you are looking for and what your definition of "good" is. If you are looking for a clean transition from Windows to Linux and expect 100% of everything that you used on Windows to "just work" on Linux, well you will probably be disappointed, However, this same exact statement is true for a Linux user switching to Windows, wondering if (Linux only operation) is going to work.

There is definitely a learning curve, but not necessarily a large learning curve. I think a lot of people are stuck in their Windows ways that they get overwhelmed and then give up. But this learinng curve is no different than when you first started using Windows, you just didn't realize it at the time.

My suggestion is to try it out as a dual boot. If you can, add a separate hard drive and install Linux on that. Then you can decide to boot Windows or Linux if you choose. Actually give Linux a fighting change and keep an open mind. Try some of your favorite games and programs. If your program is not available in Linux, see if there is an alternative (there are usually a bunch of alternatives, some better, some worse).

The customizability and options are greatly more vast with Linux compared to Windows. If you don't like something, chances are you can change it.
It is great, just do some research to find a suitable distro for you! Install with Dual boot is recommended if you have to learn a lot or have programs that depends on 'spydows'.

For me: Linux gives me an overall better peaceful experience and more options, which depends on the distro you choose (there is a lot to choose from...).
It depends in what you use your PC for...

For most use cases it will be as good or better than windows.

Simply not having to cope with forced updates (and frequently borked updates at that) is a winner in my book!

Also you won't be needing an antivirus anymore. (seriously!)

For work, what you should be aware is that there are a couple specialized software that you won't find the same or exact similars on Linux, so you'll have to adapt some of the workflow you had... https://alternativeto.net is your best friend now!

For gaming, it's mostly great now! But loads of online competitive multiplayer games have heavy anticheat and this is still a no-no.

You can test most linux distros directly from a pendrive before installing and you can also install it to a separate drive and dual-boot (choose Linux or Windows from a little menu when you switch on the computer)... so take your time testing and learning and figuring things out before nuking windows for good. That way you won't stress out when you need to do X in less than 1h and still don't quite now how to get it done.

And for a choice of distro: give Linux Mint a spin and you'll quickly feel at home!
www.linuxmint.com

PS:
Oh! 2 more things!

1) install software from the official repositories whenever possible instead of picking stuff up from websites.

2) welcome to Linux :steamhappy:
最近の変更はMarlockが行いました; 2020年5月4日 17時29分
As another note, look through your list of favorite games and see if they are natively available on Linux. If they aren't, then check out protondb.com to see how they score in playability on Linux using Valve's compatibility layer for Window's games known as Proton (aka Steam Play). I stalked your game list a little, looking at both your most recently played and your most played games, and it seems like your list is around 50/50 between whether they are native or they will "just work" in Proton, or whether they won't work at all. So that is something to consider if that is a deciding factor for you. But in either case, I would still recommend to dual boot so you can get a feel for Linux and still switch back and forth if you choose to.
最近の変更はBeninanが行いました; 2020年5月4日 17時58分
It's the best,BUT forget everything you know about PCs, Linux is totally different.
I would recommend a dual boot for starting out and after a month you can go full on Linux.

Also if you're having problems installing stuff, remember Manjaro is your best bud. :D Other than that you will definitely need to ask some questions and google stuff when starting out, if you can get through this first challenge though it's all worth it. I

f you like customizability go with KDE, otherwise I prefer Deepin (I don't really like Gnome). And don't forget everything is installable in any distro. so the things you see on different versions of Linux can all be installled in any one of them, it just requires some tinkering around.

Linux is an idea too ,don't forget that. We support open source and freedom in general. I think if you go with a mindset that values these values you'll never want to go back. Other than that Linux is objectively the best OS, but user-friendliness depends on the distro honestly.

Have fun and welcome! :D
Soap 2020年5月4日 21時18分 
Hard to tell. What do you want from an OS? If you want an intuitive, easy-to-use, out of the box experience, than Linux is not for you. Wireless and Video support are finicky at best, system maintenance is mandatory and sometimes non-trivial, and it has a learning curve that goes stepper as your interest and knowledge goes. In other hand, if you want from your system modularity, customization, efficiency, freedom and control, than you should get a live distro like Ubuntu asap, so you can understand what are you missing and then make an educated judgement if you want it or not.

https://ubuntu.com/tutorials/try-ubuntu-before-you-install#1-getting-started

Dont mind people already suggesting different distributions, the reason Linux has so many flavors (Ubuntu, Debian, Mint, Manjaro, Kali, Parrot, Fedora, Kali, and yada yada) is because people are different. You should research for yourself and find one that fits your needs. SteamOS is good option because Steam. Mint is good for people coming from Windows, and Debian has the best suport and a stimulating balance of user-friendliness and challenge. Just don't go for very specific or autistic distros like Yellow Dog, Kali or Arch. You are just going to get yourself confused and frustrated.
I *was* a 25 year Windows User until I jumped and exclusively use Linux for the past 3 years. I can tell you this. If you are using Linux primarily for gaming, you're going to face an uphill battle.

But,

If you use your computer for *many other things* along with playing games, then Linux is a top notch Operating System.

There are plenty of Windows exclusively games that are playable via Proton/Steamplay, but there is still a chunk that you won't be able to run on Linux. Depending on what game you want to play that are playable using Steamplay (which you can check on Protondb website) you're going to have to make a calculated decision yourself.
lets just say cmd will be annoying after you learn bash. dir is annoying to type. and the backwards slashes omg. wtf is drive letters, atm I have more games working on linux then before thanks to proton
最近の変更はEnigmaticが行いました; 2020年5月5日 2時22分
After many good answers, let my say this: It's a stupid question to ask in a Linux user group. :p

If you're flexible and willing to learn, Linux can be great. Start with a dual boot system, so you can transition slowly.
< >
1-15 / 17 のコメントを表示
ページ毎: 1530 50

投稿日: 2020年5月4日 15時14分
投稿数: 17