Virtual Desktop

Virtual Desktop

Dashboard and VMware Workstation 14
I have a number of virtual machines in VMware Workstation that I update monthly, and since it takes quite a bit of time to do that I usually fire up a single-player game like Skyrim or one of the Fallouts to occupy myself while the VM is download/installing/etc. I decided to buy Virtual Desktop thinking that I could be in Fallout VR and Skyrim VR and be able to interact with VM's in VMware Workstation without needing to take off my Vive, however I found that attempting to interact with VMware Workstation does not work well in Virtual Desktop Dashboard.

When I tried to interact with my Windows 7 x64 VM via the Dashboard, Windows always thought I was trying to click and drag. I kept trying for a while to see if it was just that my hand was moving too much, however all I ended up doing was accidentally moving the Desktop icons all over the place. I couldn't even open the Start menu. I even tried changing the "Optimize mouse for games" setting in VMware Workstation, however disabling it simply blocked control of the mouse pointer and locked it to the VM (I had to use the Ctrl+Alt shortcut to release it).

I imagine that this isn't how you intended for people to use the Dashboard, however at least for my usage scenario it would be awesome if I could interact with VMware Workstation while in VR games.
< >
1-9 / 9 のコメントを表示
ggodin  [開発者] 2018年7月28日 23時39分 
Hmm have never tried with a VM but it should work the same way. Windows 7 doesn’t have touch input so it should simulate regular mouse clicks. I’ll have to test it out and see why it isn’t working correctly.
GT500 2018年7月28日 23時57分 
It would be interesting to know how the behavior differs on Windows 7 and Windows 10.

I'm planning on a fresh Windows install soon anyway, so if I can interact with VM's like I wanted to in Windows 10 but not in Windows 7, then it might be time for an "upgrade" (even though I know it won't feel like one).
ggodin  [開発者] 2018年7月29日 9時49分 
On Windows 8 and 10, Virtual Deskop (main app and Dashboard) will simulate touch input rather than mouse clicks so it lets you do touch gestures (swipe to scroll, pinch to zoom, etc.) when using multiple controllers. I think the upgrade will be worth it just for the improved performance of the capture. On Windows 7 there’s a freeze whether you minimize or maximize a window and the capture is very cpu intensive. On Win8 and 10, capturing the desktop is essentially free.
GT500 2018年7月29日 10時44分 
I assume that Virtual Desktop isn't the only program that has that issue (high CPU usage during capture on Win 7, but not on Win 8/10)? For instance I assume that screen recording programs like Bandicam, OBS Studio, XSplit, etc. will capture more efficiently on Win 8/10 as well (if they use the appropriate DirectX API)?
ggodin  [開発者] 2018年7月29日 10時57分 
Correct
GT500 2018年7月29日 11時25分 
OK, thank you. I think that settles it. I'll be installing Windows 10 soon.
GT500 2018年8月10日 16時42分 
Well, Virtual Desktop Dashboard works significantly better on Windows 10 than it did on Windows 7. That being said, VMware Workstation still has issues with input from from controller. While it's less wonky than on Windows 7, it still thinks I'm trying to click and drag every time I use one of the triggers.
Xech 2022年1月19日 10時36分 
GT500 の投稿を引用:
VMware Workstation still has issues with input from from controller.

I know it's been many years since this post, but have you had any luck? I'm on 16.6.2 and having some issues passing through input from XSOverlay
GT500 2022年1月19日 17時51分 
Xech の投稿を引用:
I know it's been many years since this post, but have you had any luck? I'm on 16.6.2 and having some issues passing through input from XSOverlay

The last time I tried it input from Virtual Desktop Dashboard worked just fine. It's been 8 or 9 months since I last tried it though, so I can't guarantee it still works OK.

Note that I don't think input from OVR Toolkit ever worked in VMWare Workstation either. The only VR app that ever seemed to be able to interact with VM's at all was Virtual Desktop Dashboard.
< >
1-9 / 9 のコメントを表示
ページ毎: 1530 50

投稿日: 2018年7月28日 23時29分
投稿数: 9