Empyrion - Galactic Survival

Empyrion - Galactic Survival

Linux ?
Maybe ?
< >
346-360 / 370 のコメントを表示
Thanks for that clarification people.

So after reading all of that, does that mean the problem is more of a game direct related one, being its built for Windows only ?

So its more of a core system problem than graphical then yes ?

So for example if Eleon created a Linux version, which is planned, then most of the graphics issues, like 1 and 2 FPS problems will go away for the most, might still have a system here and there not up to date but the problem should be mostly solved then yes ?

Or am I missing something else here ?

Ive never run Linux, considered it a couple of times and just never done it, if I ran home servers all the time it would be a must.
Brew 2020年10月3日 22時34分 
I use Linux/Proton, and I've always had dismal framerates in Empyrion without using PROTON_USE_WINED3D=1 in the launch options. (I am currently using the proprietary nvidia-driver-450 with RTX 2080 Super.) So I can work around it. I don't have a crystal ball, but I would hope a native version would run normally, without needing workarounds.
Brew 2020年10月3日 22時50分 
Actually... I just gave it another shot without PROTON_USE_WINED3D=1, and now it seems to work! I get a solid 60fps now. Something with nvidia-driver-450 or Proton or game updates must have fixed the problem. Woot! But the workaround is still worth trying I guess, if you're having that problem.
最近の変更はBrewが行いました; 2020年10月3日 22時52分
WINED3D=1 disables vulkan support and reverse proton back to OpenGL translator backend.
Its extremely outdated and will generally give a poor experience in DX10-11 games.
Brew の投稿を引用:
Actually... I just gave it another shot without PROTON_USE_WINED3D=1, and now it seems to work! I get a solid 60fps now. Something with nvidia-driver-450 or Proton or game updates must have fixed the problem. Woot! But the workaround is still worth trying I guess, if you're having that problem.

I tried it just now, tried PROTON_USE_D9VK=1 too, read somewhere it helps, still get 1-3 FPS or about 2. When the world is loading and I hear a couple of sound stutters (while the Polaroid picture shows in the upper right), I know it will be unplayable when I'm standing in my world.

It almost feels like a frame is rendered to disk, loaded, shown, then the cycle repeats for the next frame. Not saying it's doing that, just saying it feels like it.
Could it be sound drivers then ?
piddlefoot の投稿を引用:
Could it be sound drivers then ?

I doubt it, the symptom could potentially be a clue to the devs though. No sound issues otherwise, once the game loads, sound is same as Windows, it's really only a couple of quick glitches during loading that are consistent with Empyrion on Linux. Loading screen and menus work fine, the world is working once I'm it it, just one screen update or two per second.

I imagine if they can fix it, it could mean a huge performance increase gamers running it on Windows.

I know that's what happened with Valve back when they started porting HL2 to Linux, they discovered a bug in the Windows kernel that they'd coded around that made it slower on Linux. They figured out a better way to fix it and improved performance on both Windows and Linux.
Sheesh I really hope so, wouldnt that be nice, performance boost for everyone, bonus !
I run the game with Proton 5.0-9. Had to change the max framerate setting to 50. Might try that once you get to the start screen. (I do not have any additional command line parameters)
piddlefoot の投稿を引用:
So after reading all of that, does that mean the problem is more of a game direct related one, being its built for Windows only ?

Exactly! And as the game is using Unity, it have already the hard linux part building (directx to opengl or vulkan conversion), it would be just a matter of selecting the linux target and compile... and of course, add/fix some linux related code (Unity does most of work, but there are bugs and extra features you may need)

So for example if Eleon created a Linux version, which is planned, then most of the graphics issues, like 1 and 2 FPS problems will go away for the most, might still have a system here and there not up to date but the problem should be mostly solved then yes ?
Yes, this should solve all problems, as it is a native game, no need to convert anything. Right now, the only way to play this is to "convert" the windows game using proton. Converting to vulkan have some problem as if gives awful performance. Converting to OpenGL, the performance isn't bad. But using proton or wine to convert a game always lose some performance and worse, it may fail with any future game update.

Ive never run Linux, considered it a couple of times and just never done it, if I ran home servers all the time it would be a must.

Try it, go to https://ubuntu.com/download/desktop and burn a CD or a usb stick and boot from the liveCD to test, no install is required. (i do not recall if nvidia close source drivers can be installed in the liveCD, but even if at low speed, everything should work anyway)
So you can try, play a bit, even install some apps and steam (it will install to RAM!) and then reboot to return to your OS
Do you have the game on an NTFS partition by chance? If the game relies on something odd like hardlinking in Windows (which is pretty rare but happens), then this can cause issues. Should work fine if the game is on ext4/btrfs/xfs/whatever else you use.

Long ago I did have texture and performance issues when I had this game on an NTFS partition but eventually I moved everything to an ext4 drive and later it seemed fine. I didn't really think about it back then but it could be coincidence or could be the issue.
最近の変更はAgent Orangeが行いました; 2020年10月4日 16時42分
Wine/proton have issues with games in NTFS, games should always be located in native linux filesystems
It's native on mine, fresh install a few months ago, completely wiped Windows 10.
higuita の投稿を引用:
Wine/proton have issues with games in NTFS, games should always be located in native linux filesystems

Only if you set it up wrong and don't follow guides.
最近の変更はGerarderloperが行いました; 2020年10月4日 22時12分
I bought Empyrion when i was still on windows. Now that i use exclusively linux, i tried to play it with Proton and it works correctly (though performances are not optimal).

Still, i wonder what has become the "Linux? Planned." dev's statement from 2015 on this same thread. Any news on that? (i didn't read the thirty-ish pages of posts, mostly because it seems it's proton talks. sorry if the answer is there).

Thank you!
< >
346-360 / 370 のコメントを表示
ページ毎: 1530 50

投稿日: 2015年11月20日 8時43分
投稿数: 370