High GPU usage by "csrss.exe" and "dwm.exe" even when idle.
Anyone having same issues lately? Mostly dwm.exe.

My operating windows:
Windows 10 Pro

My Software(Important ones):
Nvidia Experice
Windows Defender
Malvarebytes

Hardware:
Geforce GTX 1070
I9 - 9900
16GB of DDR4 RAM 3200Hz

If anything else helps just ask. But i would love any solution or if you have same issues. I noticed it while my games went from 100+ FPS to barely 40 ... This happens even if idle, the issue started happening out of nowhere four days ago or so. After closing it program resets, do a some weird stuff with my windows and then its everything to normal. Any idea? Thank you in advance! Cheers!
< >
1-15 / 19 のコメントを表示
Omega 2019年7月29日 8時59分 
About csrss.exe the Windows forums says:
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/mse-protect_scanning/csrssexe-what-is-it/5cc0dd97-deea-4843-b82f-02f1054960cf の投稿を引用:
This is the user-mode portion of the Win32 subsystem (with Win32.sys being the kernel-mode portion). Csrss stands for client/server run-time subsystem and is an essential subsystem that must be running at all times. Csrss is responsible for console windows, creating and/or deleting threads, and some parts of the 16-bit virtual MS-DOS environment.

dwm.exe is your window manager, it manages your windows on the screen.
Omega の投稿を引用:
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/mse-protect_scanning/csrssexe-what-is-it/5cc0dd97-deea-4843-b82f-02f1054960cf の投稿を引用:
This is the user-mode portion of the Win32 subsystem (with Win32.sys being the kernel-mode portion). Csrss stands for client/server run-time subsystem and is an essential subsystem that must be running at all times. Csrss is responsible for console windows, creating and/or deleting threads, and some parts of the 16-bit virtual MS-DOS environment.

Yes i know, however the numbers go from 1% of my GPU to 99-100% of a GPU which is not normal for sure, csrss doing it ocasionaly. dwm.exe is doing this at random, i need to figure out which window i am supposed to close, is it possible that Windows 10 have some memory leak with update?
Omega 2019年7月29日 9時30分 
Legend - CZ の投稿を引用:
Omega の投稿を引用:

Yes i know, however the numbers go from 1% of my GPU to 99-100% of a GPU which is not normal for sure, csrss doing it ocasionaly. dwm.exe is doing this at random, i need to figure out which window i am supposed to close, is it possible that Windows 10 have some memory leak with update?
It's likely that you have something running which is doing this. Disable all startup programs in the startup section of the Task Manager. Then see if this fixed the issue after rebooting. If it didn't check if you have any other processes or program running which could be causing this.
最近の変更はOmegaが行いました; 2019年7月29日 9時43分
Omega の投稿を引用:
Legend - CZ の投稿を引用:

It's likely that you have something running this is doing this. Disable all startup programs in the startup section of the Task Manager. Then see if this fixed the issue after rebooting. If it didn't check if you have any other processes or program running which could be causing this.

It is random programs doing it from what i encountered so far. Now uplay when i turned it off, bam fixed, before it was Wallpaper engine
Legend - CZ の投稿を引用:
Omega の投稿を引用:
It's likely that you have something running this is doing this. Disable all startup programs in the startup section of the Task Manager. Then see if this fixed the issue after rebooting. If it didn't check if you have any other processes or program running which could be causing this.

It is random programs doing it from what i encountered so far. Now uplay when i turned it off, bam fixed, before it was Wallpaper engine
Have you tried rolling back a windows update? I had a memory leak a while back when they put out that psa saying one of their updates was ♥♥♥♥♥♥ i would be at 15gb just sitting in windows in about 10 min but it never affected my gpu usage until i went into a game the performance was abysmal. I rolled backed tho and it got rid of it that was maybe march i think
jefedemuchanina の投稿を引用:
Legend - CZ の投稿を引用:

Have you tried rolling back a windows update? I had a memory leak a while back when they put out that psa saying one of their updates was ♥♥♥♥♥♥ i would be at 15gb just sitting in windows in about 10 min but it never affected my gpu usage until i went into a game the performance was abysmal. I rolled backed tho and it got rid of it that was maybe march i think

I might try that, it is all of the sudden, never had problems like this before. I check my updates section.
Legend - CZ の投稿を引用:
jefedemuchanina の投稿を引用:

I might try that, it is all of the sudden, never had problems like this before. I check my updates section.
Give it a go but like i said i rolled back an update that was known to be totally screwed i didnt see anyone else having the memory leak problem tho but mine was all a sudden as well
jefedemuchanina の投稿を引用:
Legend - CZ の投稿を引用:

Give it a go but like i said i rolled back an update that was known to be totally screwed i didnt see anyone else having the memory leak problem tho but mine was all a sudden as well

Yeah memory and everything sits fine, its just that Random windows in my system taking all my GPU power at random its supper odd.
_I_ 2019年7月29日 11時06分 
it might be a mining virus/malware
scan with mbam
_I_ の投稿を引用:
it might be a mining virus/malware
scan with mbam

Did with Malvarebytes and Windows Defender, all results came clean.
Legend - CZ の投稿を引用:
Omega の投稿を引用:

Set the exe for those apps (uplay and wpe) to adaptive in Nvidia cp
最近の変更はBad 💀 Mothaが行いました; 2019年7月29日 13時15分
Hundreds of people are reporting this on Microsof forums and in Windows Feedback. It's happening to me now. It is not mining malware. It happens offline, too. DWM seems to be treating everything like 3d and letting the GPU do all the work. Browsing, watching videos, Netflix, going through photos. GPU use when idle is 40-70 percent. I've tried all the suggested fixes -- disable hardware acceleration on Chrome, old drivers, new drivers, fresh install of Win10,etc. Nothing works. Turning DWM priority down to Low (Task Manager, Details, DWM, right click, Priority, Low) helps a bit. MS knows about it but doesn't seem to be doing anything about it. Still looking for a solution.
iainhoca の投稿を引用:
Hundreds of people are reporting this on Microsof forums and in Windows Feedback. It's happening to me now. It is not mining malware. It happens offline, too. DWM seems to be treating everything like 3d and letting the GPU do all the work. Browsing, watching videos, Netflix, going through photos. GPU use when idle is 40-70 percent. I've tried all the suggested fixes -- disable hardware acceleration on Chrome, old drivers, new drivers, fresh install of Win10,etc. Nothing works. Turning DWM priority down to Low (Task Manager, Details, DWM, right click, Priority, Low) helps a bit. MS knows about it but doesn't seem to be doing anything about it. Still looking for a solution.

Did clean driver reinstall trough some program and full computer reinstall and it seems like it did a trick for me. At least for the part. Still not completely fixed and watching the forum as well.

!YSR 2021年4月5日 23時05分 
yeah its happened to me as well...seems alt tabing (brings in and out any windows) , moving cursor arrow and scrolling up and down rapidly made it spikes around 70 - 90 %..
最近の変更は!YSRが行いました; 2021年4月5日 23時16分
What helps is every so often as you feel the need, force stop dwm.exe and explorer.exe and relaunch them.
< >
1-15 / 19 のコメントを表示
ページ毎: 1530 50

投稿日: 2019年7月29日 8時53分
投稿数: 19