Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Generic User Avatar

After 10 reinstall, check disk runs on every reboot

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 jmbtexas

jmbtexas

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 PM

Posted 16 April 2017 - 07:36 PM

Hi BC,

I have a Dell Latitude E5510 laptop that came with Windows 7 Pro.  Many months ago, I upgraded to windows 10 when Microsoft kept asking me to, but after installing windows 10, I could never get any windows update to install properly.  I finally decided to reinstall 10 again yesterday, and the windows updates seem to work fine.

The issue I have now is on every reboot, the computer wants to run a disk check:

"To skip disk checking, press any key..."

I can press a key and avoid the disk check and go to desktop, but I would like to stop this disk check.

If I don't press a key, I see the following message:

"Scanning and repairing drive (\\?\Volume{96434c70-0000-0000-0000-701c3a000000}): 0% Complete"

If I let it go, it will stop at 9% complete, and then boot to desktop, but the issue happens again upon next reboot.

I have researched this issue and tried several things from the link below using an admin command prompt and also making a change to the registry, but the issue remains.

Link

What can I do to resolve this issue?

Thanks!

Jeff

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wolverine 7

Wolverine 7

• Members
  • 5,147 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 AM

Posted 16 April 2017 - 07:57 PM

See if you can work through the instructions here,any issues or further haelp,let us know.

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/check-disk-runs-at-every-startup-windows

Accidents don't just happen.They must be carelessly planned.

Dell Latitude 7380,Win 10 Pro,8GB,BunsenLabs Linux Antix Linux,,Kali Linux,

#3 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 PM

Posted 16 April 2017 - 08:38 PM

Have you checked Task Manager for scheduled tasks ?

#4 jmbtexas

jmbtexas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2017 - 09:30 PM

See if you can work through the instructions here,any issues or further haelp,let us know.

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/check-disk-runs-at-every-startup-windows

Per the instructions, I let my computer go through disk check after reboot, and then I changed the registry BootExecute to autocheck autochk *    I rebooted, and the disk check remains on startup.

Then, I opened an admin command prompt and typed:  fsutil dirty query c: and the message said "Volume - c: is NOT dirty" 

I also typed fsutil dirty query g: and the message said "Error: The parameter is incorrect"

Lastly, I typed CHKNTFS /X G: and CHKNTFS /X C:   I rebooted, and the disk check remains on startup.

What should I try next?

Have you checked Task Manager for scheduled tasks ?

I looked in Task Manager, but I don't see any Scheduled Tasks.  I was able to open the Task Scheduler App, and there are many tasks listed there.  What am I supposed to do?

#5 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 4,968 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 AM

Posted 16 April 2017 - 09:42 PM

Run the disk check yourself by typing Chkdsk C: /r command.

Helping public with their PC problems as have been doing for years.

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/Freebooter

#6 jmbtexas

jmbtexas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2017 - 10:40 PM

Run the disk check yourself by typing Chkdsk C: /r command.

Hi, I typed Chkdsk C: /r

Message said:  "The type of file system is NTFS.  Cannot lock current drive.  Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process.  Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the enxt time the system restartes?"

I entered "Y" and rebooted. 

The "skip disk checking" message came up on restart, but I didn't skip and let it do it's normal thing...the "scanning and repairing drive" message gets stuck at 9% and then goes to desktop.

I rebooted a second time, and the disk check came up again.

What should I try next?

#7 zainmax

zainmax

• Banned
  • Member rank image
  • 344 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 AM

Posted 16 April 2017 - 11:50 PM

The issue I have now is on every reboot, the computer wants to run a disk check:

It is not the issue or problem or whatever, it has been so always, but You must not see the scanning text on desktop. This is issue which says, that something is wrong.
But You can always disable disk checking on every reboot. The simplest way is to use Windows 10 manager, but if You really do not want to use it, You should change registry key, what was already recommended.
It is perfectly normal to disable to check on every reboot, especially recommended to disable, if you have an SSD drive or very large drive. It is not simply necessary and takes also long time.

This key is HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager => BootExecute and its value must be 
---------------
autocheck autochk * 
PDBoot.exe
---------------  

If You need full correct key, ask me, because I cannot add its content as text, then cannot post, it is too long.

#8 opera

opera

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2017 - 12:23 AM

On a slightly different track.... how did you reinstall Win 10?

Do you have a screenshot of your partitions?

Edited by opera, 17 April 2017 - 12:23 AM.

#9 zainmax

zainmax

• Banned
  • Member rank image
  • 344 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 AM

Posted 17 April 2017 - 12:39 AM

How is it related to this issue?

#10 opera

opera

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2017 - 01:09 AM

Because Creators Update 1703 may have resized the Windows partition

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/macrium-reflect.356309/page-191#post-2666128

Also all info on an issue can be valuable :)

#11 jmbtexas

jmbtexas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2017 - 11:11 AM

It is not the issue or problem or whatever, it has been so always, but You must not see the scanning text on desktop. This is issue which says, that something is wrong.
But You can always disable disk checking on every reboot. The simplest way is to use Windows 10 manager, but if You really do not want to use it, You should change registry key, what was already recommended.
It is perfectly normal to disable to check on every reboot, especially recommended to disable, if you have an SSD drive or very large drive. It is not simply necessary and takes also long time.

This key is HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager => BootExecute and its value must be 
---------------
autocheck autochk * 
PDBoot.exe
---------------  

If You need full correct key, ask me, because I cannot add its content as text, then cannot post, it is too long.

Hi, I already changed the registry for BootExecute to autocheck autochk * and the disk check still happens on reboot.

What is PDBoot.exe and the full correct key?  What should I try next?

First, I used the media creation tool on a thumb drive.  Then, I did a full reset using advanced options on the computer.

See attached screenshot of partition and let me know if you need anything else.  Thanks!

Attached Files

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 34,829 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 PM

Posted 17 April 2017 - 11:20 AM

That's not a normal partition structure for Windows 7. There is usually a 100MB System Reserved Partition before the Windows partitions but that's not to mean your partition structure would not work. 

When you used CHKNTFS /X C:  did you use an elevated command prompt? CMD in the search box > Right click run as Administrator.

#13 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 6,606 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 PM

Posted 17 April 2017 - 11:38 AM

One of my two laptops doesn't have System Reserved partition either -- I'll be listening in and learning alongside the thread starter. jmbtexas, one program that might or might not come in handy is Neosoft's EasyBCD, if others here determine you need a System Reserved partition, they can walk you through using EasyBCD (and I will follow their advice also).

Edited by RolandJS, 17 April 2017 - 11:39 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.

#14 dc3

dc3

Arachibutyrophobia

• Members
  • 32,510 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 PM

Posted 17 April 2017 - 01:27 PM

The System Reserved partition holds the Boot Manager code and the Boot Configuration Database.  Without this there would be serious problems booting into Windows.  There is the possibility that this partition is hidden.  To see if it is in fact hidden use the instruction found here.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#15 opera

opera

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2017 - 01:31 PM

A really nice write up about the system reserved partition here.

https://discuss.howtogeek.com/t/what-is-the-system-reserved-partition-and-can-you-delete-it/17395/11

The reason I asked how Win 10 was installed is sometimes an operating system will not install correctly no matter what is tried unless the drive is wiped first.

It's as if it 'retains' a memory of how it was before.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users