Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

G

November 15th, 2007 21:00

Using Hitachi Travelstar 60GB for external drive?

Hello,

My old Dell 600m finally gave up the ghost, and I've moved on to a new laptop.

However, the internal hard drive was recent ('05?), having been replaced under warranty.

What I would like to know is, is there any way to use this internal drive as an external storage device for my new computer? Normally I'd just buy a SATA enclosure with USB2.0 or FW800 and call it a day, but the drive comes with this plastic plate attachment that formed part of the side of the old laptop. It sticks out vertically, has ports for the headphone/mic jacks, and it seems pretty permanent. I actually disassembled the thing (removed the four black screws around the side) but it seems that the laptop side plate is not easily removable; it's fixed to the metal drive cover that comes off once the screws are loose. It has 3 silver screws of its own, but even with those out it doesn't pop off.

Please let me know if you have any idea how to fix this drive so that it can be used in anything other than the Dell 600m laptop.

Specs:
Hitachi Travelstar
MODEL: HTS541060G9AT00
5400RPM
ATA/IDE
60GB
5V 1.0A DC
Dec-05
HDD S/N: MPB3PAX5JZ05WM

November 15th, 2007 22:00

EJN, Thanks so much for your reply. I didn't even realize that was an adapter on the pins, now that's off. Just to be clear, this means that the bare drive has *no* metal cover protecting the top (or is it the bottom?), but instead shows a green circuitboard, right? Thanks again, -GLL

Message Edited by gabedamien on 11-15-2007 07:56 PM

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

Correct; the logic board is bare on most drives. The top of the drive is the head-disc assembly, covered by a sealed metal plate.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

The drive is removed from the carrier (including the blade adapter over the pins on the back of it) and can then be mounted in an external case. You'll find four screws hold the drive in the carrier.

You need a 2.5" EIDE (NOT SATA) drive case - your choice as to whether USB or IEEE1394 (firewire).

There are some cases with both connectors on them.

November 16th, 2007 00:00

Perfect. You've been a great help, I appreciate it. :)
No Events found!