Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

November 13th, 2008 21:00

Boot problem, Windows XP, Dimension E310

Dimension E310

MS Windows XP Media Center ver. 2005 with Update Rollup 2

While booting up, I recently got an error message that the hive couldn't be accessed, then on reboot, got an automatic chkdsk, reboot, hang,  and then stop error: 0x00000218. After running Norton Disk Doctor and still getting no complete boot, I tried a Windows repair install from the OS CD that came with the computer. During the installation, I got a large number of error messages saying that files couldn't be copied because they couldn't be found on the CD (a lot of dll files, as well as other types). I tried browsing the CD, couldn't find the missing files, so I cancelled my way through all of the error messages I was getting. Windows said it finished installing. Now I get to the sign in window, then the system hangs (pointer and black screen) and finally get a message that it has stopped loading Windows to avoid damaging the system. Along with the message, I get stop error: 0x0000007A. It does a physical dump of the memory, then reboots, and runs chkdsk. It then reboots, goes to the sign in screen, hangs, gives me the stop error msg again, and cycles this way in an endless loop.

Any ideas?

3.7K Posts

November 14th, 2008 03:00

Hi SonnyT2,  I dont know the answer to that one, but i have gone and posted that error message in the XP TechNet forums for you. If you want to keep an eye on any replies use the link below, or somebody on this forum might be able to help.

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=4126951&SiteID=17&mode=1

1.7K Posts

November 14th, 2008 12:00

The message about the hive is a problem reading the registry into memory at startup.  I remember seeing a post recently about all the files failing to copy, but I don't remember what the fix was.  I think it was caused by SP3, however, and had a relatively simple fix.

You may want to run a diagnostic on the hard drive in case it is failing.

799 Posts

November 14th, 2008 13:00

Hello SonnyT2, When you say you tried a repair install, did you try the console repair or go to the second repair install. The second repair install should allow you to repair the original installation. I have done this many times, but I must tell you that nothing works better than a fresh install. While I have been able to recover by the repair install method, after I was able to get to the desktop, I made a current backup and did a fresh fromat and fresh install. This has worked best for me over the years. Hope this helps.

No Events found!