• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DOS Cpu-Burn In Tool...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PCGUY112887

I know that everyone uses Prime 95... it's just that I really hate testing within windows, say your are unstable and you get a random restart... One time I was primeing, and it did a random restart (unstable) and I came back stock to find that my windows install was now totally corrupt from that...

For this reason, I want to start doing all stress testing in DOS. Right now I am running memtest86 on my other rig... I like it better so if there is an error, I can just restart and no harm done. Also it appears to do a better job than Sandra.

But I only know of 1 good CPU burn in program... and that's prime. Is there anything that would do a good job that I could boot from a disk to use like memtest? I know there is something on the Ultimate Boot CD (what i'm useing right now) but I don't know how good of a job it does...
This is what is on the Ultimate Boot CD...
http://users.bigpond.net.au/cpuburn/

Ideas?

PS who thinks there should be a version of prime95 for DOS? :burn:

EDIT - Hehe just found out what it's like when you error in memtest... 40k errors filling up the screen in a matter of seconds :p

Last edited:
I've never seen Windows become "totally corrupt" just from a random restart, but ok. You wouldn't want to run many stress tests from true DOS (memtest86 isn't using DOS, it directly accesses the hardware that it needs). If you're up for a minor challenge, you could try making a bootable linux CD that has mprime on it. mprime is the Linux version of Prime95 and the core code is the same (so stress testing under Linux would be as effective as under Windows). You can get mprime at mersenne.org.

I also seriously reccomend linux for this application. You can run prime95, cpuburn, folding, andand memtest86 from a properly setup linux bootable cd (If I ever get enough spare time, I may build one that suits me for stability testing). If you are set on dos, however, you can probably get cpuburn to run. It's a program written in assembly that is very good at generating high stress and cpu temperatures.

http://pages.sbcglobal.net/redelm/

Notw that this is a different cpuburn than the opne you posted.

Your corrupted windows install was likely due to memory errors or an overclocked pci bus more so than errors generated by prime95. But, I could be wrong. I should point out that it is best to stability test with multiple programs (eg memtest86, prime95, cpuburn, and whatever else you like). This is why I like ythe linux boot cd testing idea. First, you isolate your OS as the source of errors/crashes/reboots. I've found that with stable versions of the kernel, drivers, and software, linux is a far more stable OS than windows, if the hardware is stable. So, if you crash, it is almost certainly a hardware problem. Second, you don't put your filesystem at risk because it's on a cd. You can also get more cpu resources dedicated to the stress-testing programs, without all the gui-related calculations getting in the way. The main downside is lack of graphics stressing capabilities.

Ah thanks.

And I wasn't blameing it on prime... it could have happened with anything that I was doing.

And I guess I shoulden't have said the windows install was totally trashed... only the registry. Funny thing is that even repairing the install it woulden't fix it.

BTW does anyone happen to know if the CPU burn that I linked to will show if there are error's? I know some proggies from freeze when errors occure.

i think overclockix (hence the name) has prime95? Youd have to talk to Arkaine, since he made it. ive seen screenshots its pretty cool and i think theres a liveCD for it.

MadSkillzMan said:
i think overclockix (hence the name) has prime95? Youd have to talk to Arkaine, since he made it. ive seen screenshots its pretty cool and i think theres a liveCD for it.

thnx a lot, this is what i was looking for... ubber linux with prim95!!! man now a burn-in test i can trust all from a CD!!!

Back