Contribute
Register

When will macOS stop x86 support?

Motherboard
MSI B450M > Need model name > See Forum Rules!
CPU
Ryzen 7 2700X
Graphics
RX 550
As Apple computers are transitioning to ARM 64 bit CPU, will Apple stop all x86 machines support in the coming macOS 15?

I use MacIntesh to develop iphone apps. So I am worried. :(

As Apple computers are transitioning to ARM 64 bit CPU, will Apple stop all x86 machines support in the coming macOS 15?

I use MacIntesh to develop iphone apps. So I am worried. :(

Hi there.

No one knows yet (except Apple) which version of macOS will be the final one to support Intel CPUs.

If you are an iOS software developer then you probably need to invest in an Apple Silicon Mac computer going forward, just to be sure.

:)

My handwave guestimate:

A Mac model becomes vintage during the 7th year since inception of the model, or during the 4th year after the last retail offering of that model, whichever extends longer.

The last Intel mac was the 2019 Mac Pro as of Jan 2023, replaced by AppleSi Mac Pro.

So I will expect Intel support to end in 2027.

Then, may we be able to simulate a new Apple with Raspberry Pi x? :clap:
Apple platforms diverge from the standard 64-bit ARM architecture in a few specific ways. Apart from these small differences, iOS, tvOS, and macOS adhere to the rest of the 64-bit ARM specification.

Then, may we be able to simulate a new Apple with Raspberry Pi x? :clap:
Doubtful. I think we will have a virtual machine to run latest macOS (non-intel versions). This makes most sense since reverse engineering M1/M2 chip is unrealistic. Parallels does support M1 so we could probably run legacy macOS with latest macOS (M1/M2) in Parallels.

Last edited:
Doubtful. I think we will have a virtual machine to run latest macOS (non-intel versions). This makes most sense since reverse engineering M1/M2 chip is unrealistic. Parallels does support M1 so we could probably run legacy macOS with latest macOS (M1/M2) in Parallels.
It will be interesting to see how this plays out. You'll notice there's no VM f for Playstation because the machine is owned and DRM'd. The user only has a limited privilege to operate it.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. You'll notice there's no VM f for Playstation because the machine is owned and DRM'd. The user only has a limited privilege to operate it.
Parallels have the resources, money and license to get it to work in virtual machine. Many developers use it for sandbox testing for their apps in different macOS versions. It can even run legacy macOS Tiger.

Hi both.

Remember the site owners have a strict policy of not discussing using macOS in a VM unless ... Read the Site Rules please.

Thank you. :)

I know that running legacy versions of macOS/OS X in Fusion are possible on Intel versions of Fusion. I don't know if it's possible on an Apple Silicon Mac. I have not see anything written on it.

Screenshot 2023-10-22 at 11.28.32 AM.png

Source:http://partnerweb.vmware.com/GOSIG/MacOS_10_12.html

Edit:
Apparently, it's possible to run Apple Silicon versions of macOS in a vm on an Apple Silicon Mac.

Last edited:
Back